In the present world, digital marketing has emerged as a strong medium of communication and has become like language to learn. Digital marketing forms the backbone of today’s economy and has become an essential skill that everyone should have regardless of their profession.
In this article, we will explore why you should learn digital marketing even if you do not plan to have a career in core digital marketing.
A 16-year-old teen posting a selfie on Instagram is doing digital marketing.
A 21-year-old guy posting pictures of his first motorcycle on Facebook is also doing digital marketing.
A social activist trying to get signatures on Change.org for a petition is doing digital marketing.
For the first time in the history of mankind, a single individual has the power to publish something that the whole world can see. We’ve never had this power before. We were always consumers of information and never the creators of content or information.
The need to express ourselves and communicate information to others has been there with us since we started carving artifacts on cave walls. Today all of us spread information through digital channels. We publish text, videos, and photos. It could be for personal or business initiatives.
So that’s why even if you do not plan to become a hard-core digital marketer you should learn digital marketing fundamentals
Fundamental Reasons for growing demand for Digital Marketing
- Digital media user adoption growth: There’s a blast in terms of the number of people joining various digital media such as Facebook, LinkedIn. According to Internet World Stats, over 51.7% of world’s population (i.e. 3.8 billion people) today has the Internet connection. It was less than 1% in 1995. Additionally, the time spent on digital media is also increasing. Interestingly, approx 50% of this worlds’ Internet user base is from Asia.
- Digital marketing spends growth: According to a report by Associated Chamber of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM), digital advertising will account for 13000 Crore by 2018 against 7500 crores in 2016.
- Demand-Supply gap for skilled digital marketing professionals: Assumed the sprouting nature of this industry, academic bodies can’t take care of this digital marketing skill building needs. Resulting in an ever-increasing talent gap between demand and supply of skilled digital marketing professionals at entry-level positions.
- Rapid change in digital marketing industry: Since digital modes change so often, that there’s an endless need for skill up-gradation for people.
- Growth of Internet-based businesses: Due to lower entry cost, Internet-based start-ups are setting off globally. This has placed further pressure to nurture digital marketing talent.
- Digital modes of content delivery are faster, more versatile, and more practical. They offer a better return on investment to both marketers and consumers.
Advantages of Digital Marketing
- Improve Your Outreach
- Ensure Online Business Survival
- Cost Effective over Traditional Marketing
- Compete with Large Corporations
- Know All About Your Competitors
- Real-Time Results
- Content Performance and Lead Generation
- Earn People’s Trust and Build Brand Reputation
- Improved Conversion Rates
- Higher Revenues
- Higher ROI from Your Campaigns
- Strategize with the Valuable Data and Analytics
Other Reasons to Learn Digital Marketing
- Easy to Learn
- Equivalent to Mini MBA
- Exhibit Creativity
- Become more competitive
- Realize higher ROI and revenue
- Demand and Supply Gap
- Adds weightage to resume
- Growth Rate
- Stand ahead in the Competition
- Affordable and Worthy
- Future Ready
Benefits of Having a Digital Marketing Career
Still Confused over whether to change career or what to study next?
You might want to discover the seven big digital marketing benefits first.
- Become an In-Demand Professional
- Wide range of Career Options
- Digital Marketing is Continuously Increasing
- It’s a recession Proof Career Option
- Deployment of Skills from one company to another
- Get Paid More Than Your Peers
- You Can KickStart Your Own Career
About the Author
Dr. Nitin Kr Saxena
Dr. Nitin Kr Saxena is an Associate Professor in the Marketing area.