(AUG. 13, 2016)
Dr U M Amin
Dr. S.K. Mahapatra, Director, Jaipuria School of Business, faculty members and dear students of the PGDBM programme.
Good morning. I thank Dr. Mahapatra for providing with an opportunity to be at Jaipuria school of business amongst you and share some thoughts with you all.
The theme of my interaction with you that I have chosen is “It is all about you”.
Let me share an interesting event.
One day all the employees of a company reached office and found a big advice on the door on which was written:
“Yesterday the person who has been hindering your growth in this company passed away. We invite you to join the funeral in the room that has been prepared in the gym.”
Narrate the event….. Everyone was curious to know who that person was? Who was hindering the progress? The excite grew as people reached the coffin kept in the room. One by one the employees reached the coffin. When they looked inside, they suddenly became speechless. Stood shocked and in silence as someone had touched the deepest part of their soul.
There was a mirror inside the coffin; everyone who looked inside could see himself/herself.
There was also a sign next to the mirror that said:
“There is only one person who is capable to set limits to your growth. It is YOU. You are the only person who can revolutionalize your life. You are the only person who can influence your happiness, your realisation and your success. You are the only person who can help yourself.”
Your life does not change when your boss changes, when your friends change, when your parents change, when your partner changes, when your company changes. Your life changes when YOU change, when you go beyond your limiting beliefs, when you realize that you are the only one responsible for your life. The most important relationship you can have is the one you have with yourself. Examine yourself, watch yourself. Don’t be afraid of difficulties, impossibilities and losses, be a winner, build yourself and your reality.
The basic attributes that you need to cultivate to become a successful business manager or leader are:
- Hard work, going the extra mile
- Self confidence
To be successful, follow ASK
- Begin with your strengths, imaginary rabbit story
- Remember a rupee earned is of far more value than five found. A friend’s story about niece always complaining about breakfast.
- Importance of humility, be grateful to parents, teachers, seniors, who give so much that we cannot repay.
- Always strive for excellence, looking to those better than us, keep learning.
- Never give up in adversity.
- Be open to change but never compromise on our values. Gandhi ji once said, you should open the windows of mind BUT should not be swept off your feet by breeze.
- Have faith in our own ideas even if everyone tells us that we are wrong, story of news paper vendor
- Treat failure as a natural phenomenon,
- Lost his job
- Got defeated for legislature
- Started business and failed
- Wife died of a fatal disease
- Experienced nervous breakdown
- Applied for the post of land officer and didn’t get it
- Contested for senate and lost
- Contested for vice president and lost
- Again contested for senate and lost
- And two years later got elected as
- President of the US of A
- Who was the person?
|Does not mean||It means|
|You are a failure||You have not yet succeeded|
|You have accomplished nothing||You have learnt something|
|You will never be able to do||You have to do it in a different way|
|You are inferior||You are not perfect|
|You have wasted your life||You have to start afresh|
|You should give up||You should try hard|
|You will never achieve||It takes a little longer|
|God has abandoned you||God has a better idea; you will get the idea if you have faith in HIM|
|Name||What was he||What did he became|
|Einstein||Patent clerk||World famous scientist|
|Abraham Lincon||Poor Farmer’s son||President USA|
|Homer||Blind||Great Greek writer|
|Bethoven||Deaf||Famous music compsr|
|Thomas Edison||Matriculate||Great inventor|
|M S Oberoi||Clerk||Biggest chain hotelier|
|G D Birla||Studied upto 3rd standard||Renowned industrialist|
|Bill Gate||College drop out||You know who he is?|
Lastly, future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams, so……….
Dream big, dream bigger, think+, choose the best, analyse more, plan perfectly, be confident, work hard and execute well —– success will be yours, great future awaits you. I do hope that you achieve success in whatever way you define it and what gives you maximum happiness in life. Remember those who win and succeed are those who believe they can. May you realise your wildest dreams.
May GOD Bless you all
Dr U M Amin
Director, FMS, Jamia Millia Islamia