The digital marketing industry is flourishing, and digital marketing is becoming an unavoidable necessity for any organization or startup nowadays. Digital marketing positions span the gamut, ranging from web analytics, social media marketing, search engine optimization and content marketing.
- There’s a blast in terms of the number of people joining various digital media such as Facebook, LinkedIn. According to Internet World Stats, over 51.7% of world’s population (i.e. 3.8 billion people) today has the Internet connection. It was less than 1% in 1995. Additionally, the time spent on digital media is also increasing. Interestingly, approx 50% of this worlds’ Internet user base is from Asia.
- In India digital media spend is forecast to increase by 30 per cent in 2018 with 43.6 per cent growth in mobile spend, which will account for 47 per cent of total digital spend in 2018
- The advertising spend in the country is expected to grow by 12.5 per cent in 2018 from 9.6 per cent last year, according to the Dentsu Aegis ad spend report.
- Assumed the sprouting nature of this industry, academic bodies can’t take care of this digital marketing skill building needs. Resulting in an ever-increasing talent gap between demand and supply of skilled digital marketing professionals at entry-level positions.
- The global ad spends, which includes 59 countries, is expected to grow at 3.6 per cent in 2018 from 3.1 per cent in 2017. “This amounts to a global ad spend of USD 589.5 billion in 2018.
- Due to lower entry cost, Internet-based start-ups are setting off globally. This has placed further pressure to nurture digital marketing talent.
- Digital modes of content delivery are faster, more versatile, and more practical. They offer a better return on investment to both marketers and consumers.
(Source: The Economic Times)
Digital Marketing is the tool that every company wishes to utilize in order to reach their audience and increase sales.
Do you have the skills to flourish in Digital Marketing?
Economicmodeling.com (EMSI) has researched 500,000 unique job postings for marketing positions in the year 2017 and concluded the top 10 in-demand skills
- Digital Strategy
- Web Analytics
- Social Media Marketing
- Marketing Communications
- Product Marketing
- Content Management
- Google Analytics
- Graphic Design
About the Author
Dr. Nitin Kr Saxena
Dr. Nitin Kr Saxena is an Associate Professor in the Marketing area.