The pandemic has made most of the schools, colleges and teaching institutions adopt the hybrid mode of teaching and learning. Gamification, a buzzword in current education system emerged as the central point of teaching-learning process. Gamification is increasingly used in educational settings for a number of reasons. First, it involves the use of game-based design and gaming principles in non-gaming contexts. Second, different themes such as virtual points, badges, grades, trophies are used which stimulates learning. This inclusion of gaming elements makes learning process more engaging, attractive and meaningful. Gamification tools like Duolingo, Coursera, Kahoot, Padlet etc. are frequently used by educators to make learning more engaging and interactive. In short, it ‘makes the hard stuff more fun’. We in Jaipuria Institute of Management Ghaziabad implemented gamification in various ways across countless subject areas such a marketing, HR, Communication IT etc. We use game elements for the engaging and motivating learners include: Narratives, Immediate feedback, fun, points/badges/leader boards, social connection etc.
There are various benefits of gamification in e-learning. These are:
- Boost learner’s motivation: Motivation is an important predictors of student’s academic achievements, which influences the effort and time a student spends engaged in learning. In educational setting, gamification increases the learners’ motivation by incorporating game design elements.
- Develop coordination among group: In general, the game-based learning platforms provides the group exercises which increase the level of creativity, cooperation, collaboration, and improves the performance of learners.
- Improve engagement and retention: Gamification enhances engagement levels and create an environment where learners are more willing to take on new challenges. The more engaged learners are at e-learning platform, the better they will learn the content. For example, Brainscape – improved flashcards that promote retention of knowledge using what they call “confidence-based repetition”.
- Improve problem solving skills: Gamified learning plays a vital role in improving problem solving skills which further motivates the learner to overcome obstacles and achieve the desired goals. The success of gamification in the teaching and learning process has created new standard for using strategic thinking and find creative solutions to the problems.
- Improve learner’s experience: Gamification not only creates a framework for problem solving, but also improves learners’ experience. Learners can use virtual experience to real life business process and can better serve clients in real life. The game environment strengthens strategic thinking and helps learners find the best solutions for problems.
- Improve social skills: Game based learning is very useful in developing social skills. In current situation, where students are not interacting physically with their peers, game-based learning provides a platform to interact and communicate with others both verbally and non-verbally.
Saurabh Gupta (Ph.D)