ACTIVE LEARNING: CREATING EXCITEMENT IN THE CLASSROOMSeth Anandram Jaipuria School Ghaziabad
Seth Anandram Jaipuria School has always been exploring new techniques and methods for meaningful learning. Being a protagonist in the field of education our school has joined ‘Active Learning’ campaign. It is a process that has student learning at its centre.
- Help students build connections with what they’re
- Bring a change of pace to class sessions so that all students are
- Encourage students to participate rather than allowing them to just sit back and be passive
- Allow students to know one another.
- Open the class to different perspectives.
- Make it easier to understand and remember the
At Seth Anandram Jaipuria School we believe that “Learning is not a spectator sport. Students do not learn much just by sitting in class listening to teachers, memorizing pre packaged assignments, and spitting out answers. They must talk about what they are learning, write about it, relate it to experiences and apply it to their daily lives. They must make what they learn part of themselves.” We at Seth Anandram Jaipuria encourage our students to ‘think hard’ by engaging them in small and large activities centered around writing, talking, problem solving or reflecting.
At SAJS as a teacher, one of our biggest challenge is to plan lessons that inspire our students to stay actively involved in the learning process. We want our students to be active participants in their learning during class time with us. We love to create an atmosphere and provide an opportunity for all students in our class to think and engage with the curriculum and practice skills for learning, applying, synthesizing or summarizing the concept.
Here active learning strategies come into play. We use them to empower, engage, and stimulate ourclassroom by putting ourstudents at the center of the learning process.
At SAJS we are using innumerable Active Learning strategies to our help students talk more openly, think more creatively and — ultimately — become more engaged in the process of learning. The following are some glimpses of Active Learning at SAJS—–
- Reciprocal questioning encourages an open dialogue in which students take on the role of the teacher and create their own questions about a topic, reading section, or
- Pause and Reflect intersperse strategic pauses into class lectures and enhance student understanding of teaching
- Think Pair Share is a collaborative learning strategy in which students work together to solve a problem or answer a question about an assigned
These Active Learning Strategies give Midas touch to teaching style and transform classroom into an exciting, dynamic learning environment. At times, when we let our students design a task, a final project, they surpassed our expectations. They have surprised and delighted us in every imaginable setting. We as a teacher feel proud that young Jaipurians will develop as problem solvers, critical thinkers and socially conscious individuals with leadership quality who will bring a positive change in the society and the nation as a whole.
Who would not like to be at Seth Anandram Jaipuria to learn, create and explore new techniques of learning!