Sandwiches are the very first thing the Pre-Nursery kids are taught atschool in the month of April. Teaching kids to prepare their own food is as important as teaching them life skills like keeping a budget or taking a shower on their own!When kids learn to prepare food, they learn more than how to make a healthy meal.
- Their confidence grows, as they learn to prepare different things.
- It gives them a sense of independence.
- It teaches them to make healthy choices within certain parameters.
- It reinforces the source of their food, and that it doesn’t have to “come from a box”.
- It teaches them that it is actually faster to prepare their own meal than it is to go through a drive thru.
The children were engaged to make their own cocktail sandwiches (rich in protein).They began with washing the vegetables (car-rot,onion,cucumber).After washing they were shown how to cut, peel and grate the vegetables. They were asked to identify the ingredients and then a few children came up and mixed the sandwich mix which was made of (veggies,cheese, cottage cheese,mayonnaise,pizza mix herb,salt and pepper.).Later the sandwich mix was spread evenly over the fresh brown bread and cut into various shapes of a circle,triangle,square and half cir-cle.The children enjoyed the mouthwatering sandwiches which were served to them.