Faculty Development Programme On Case Based Method of Teaching And Writing Cases
The most fundamental aim of management education is to develop and foster the analytical skills of the students. Case study based teaching, therefore, has emerged as one of the most significant pedagogical tool for imparting knowledge and provoke business decision making environment. It is believed that using case studies in the classroom provides a means for abstract and conceptual ideas to be applied to practical, real-world business scenarios. Cases place students in real-life situations, forcing them to identify with the protagonist and come up with solutions to a plausible problem. As such, they turn students into active learners rather than passive receivers, helping them develop problem-solving and decision-making skills. This effective simulation facilitates the learner’s ability to translate concepts into action, analyze problems and foster creativity.
Jaipuria Institute of Management in its constant endeavor to improve management skills has therefore initiated this Faculty Development Programme as an intensive course on case writing and teaching. The 3 Days faculty development programme on “Case Writing and Teaching Faculty Development Programme 2020” has been designed keeping in view the need of the academicians, researchers and consultants to strengthen their teaching skills. During this time, participants will learn the theory behind developing a good case study and the guiding principles to write case studies. By the end of the Faculty Development Programme, it is expected that participants will have built a strong foundation for developing their own cases.
The Faculty Development Programme is an excellent opportunity for novice and experienced faculty members to practice case teaching methods by exploring the concepts and techniques behind creative case teaching, showing how to plan and execute successful case discussions, working with the unique dynamics of the case classroom and meeting the multiple challenges of discussion leadership. Case writing is designed to provide guidance on developing an initial draft case into a finished case. The Faculty Development Programme engages participants by providing a case writing toolkit that covers:
- Elements of a good case
- Developing topics into Cases
- Ethical and practical dilemmas in writing cases
- Developing a teaching note
This interactive Faculty Development Programme will facilitate the participants in case based teaching and encourage them to write cases for classroom teaching and quality publication. The exposure to this internationally used tool of management education will involve discussions and hands-on exercises.Download Brochure
- Emphasize the value of the case method in the learning process.
- Developing interests in using case studies as a teaching tool, as well as those who are interested in research and development of such teaching cases.
- Creating a repository of teaching cases with an Indian context
- Spreading awareness on the value of the Case Method in learning, especially management learning
- Setting and propagating practice standards for development and use of cases in management education.
- Designing a case study – ensuring that the key areas of the introduction, body, conclusion and exhibits – are covered systematically.
- A solid grasp of the teaching concepts behind the case method
- To leverage real time managerial issues and challenges to the class-room so that the learners can address such challenges.
Who Should Attend ?
This Faculty Development Programme will benefit:
- Faculty in academic institutions who would like to adopt the case method in their classrooms
- Doctoral students who would like to use the case method as part of their research
- Case researchers and writers interested in developing cases and teaching notes
- Corporate learning and development executives who would like to adopt the case method.
- DAY 1 (23th January)
- DAY 2 (24th January)
- DAY 3 (25th January)
- DAY 4 (26th January)
- DAY 5 (27th January)
Day 1: Faculty Development Programme Sessions
- Welcome Address by Director JIM
- Introduction to Case Study Method of Teaching and Writing Cases
- Case Development & Case writing – Elements and Topics development into good case
- Information collection process and Incorporating key concepts/topic in case
- Instructional Design Using Cases
- Ethical & Practical dilemmas in writing cases
Day 2 : Faculty Development Programme Sessions
- Introduction to Case Writing
- Key Evaluation Criteria in International Case Selection
- Exercise in Case Writing
- Entrepreneurial Perspectives-Has Case written on their Ventures helped them?
- Managing the Classroom Process: Introduction to Case -1
Day 3 : Faculty Development Programme Sessions
- Managing the Classroom Process: Introduction to Case-2
- Managing the Classroom Process: Introduction to Case-3
- Developing a teaching note for a case and Case Publication options
Day 4 : Faculty Development Programme Sessions
- Master Class-1 Case Development (Self)
Day 5 : Faculty Development Programme Sessions
- Master Class-2 Case Development*
Note :- Participants are advised to bring their personal laptops for hands-on sessional free trial version of
SPSS will be loaded by us on their laptop.
Time: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
Prof. Vinay Kumar Pathak
Dr. APJ abdul Kalam Technical University
Mr. Shishir Jaipuria
Jaipuria Group of Educational Instititions